Oct 22, 2009

Gourmet Burgers at Fast-Food Prices



In the past year we’ve seen Toronto blogs and magazine write raving reviews of various “gourmet” burger joints. I can’t argue, their food is really outstanding-no day-old buns, soggy veggies, processed cheese, etc… Unfortunately, such state-of-the-culinary-art burger can cost you as much as a main course at a downtown restaurant. I enjoy an occasional burger myself, so I was really pleased to hear about South St. Burger Company-an offspring of NY Fries.

Today I’ve visited South Street’s Yonge and Eglinton location and was pleasantly surprised the minute I walked in the door. First, the place actually smelled of good, appetizing food (unlike ANY other fast-food restaurant I’ve ever been to). The place was spotless clean, with very cute contemporary/minimalist décor. No left-over food on the tables, no untidy workers lazily walking around, and, best of all, no regular McDonalds’ crowd! The restaurant seems to be frequented with local white-collar workers, an occasional mom-and-kid duo, and some Forest-Hill school kids.

I make my way to the counter and order a chicken burger (less than $6) with small fries (less than $3)-the selection recommended by the restaurant’s manager. I am given a round metal tray with disposable paper ligning-a great alternative to the green plastic horror of other QSRs (Quick Service Restaurants). The manager tells me some of the customers actually asked to buy these trays-and I can totally understand why.

Anyways, back to my burger… At South Street you actually get to see how your burger is made. You get to choose the bun (white or whole wheat), you get to choose your toppings (an outstanding selection of any imaginable burger fair-I went for guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, goat cheese, and pickles). You also get to see how your patty or chicken is grilled.

The food proved to be as good as it looked. Grilled chicken breast was moist, and the veggies added some freshness to the bread-and-meat combination. Fries were good, not too greasy, and just the right amount that none go to waste.

So, if you are ever in the area, make sure you starve yourself a little first, and then go an enjoy a very satisfying meal at South St. Burger Company.

2383 Yonge St.
Yonge + Eglinton
Sun-Thu 11:00am - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat 11:00am - 11:00pm
Phone: 647-343-6744



F.

No comments: